Thursday 13 October 2011

Evaluation

Evaluation
For our assignment we had to create an album or a book cover, I choose a music album as we already had a template to start on. At first I choose Katy Perry as I like her music as it stands out and also because she is very pretty so I could collect some nice images for the front, back and insides. I had found a few pictures but not enough and it wasn’t the rite style or image I wanted, I wanted to add an older style to the album. I kept trying to look for pictures that matched the style I wanted but I still couldn’t find any, so I decided to change the artist, as I wanted an older style I wanted to go for a older band. I decided to go with ABBA as I like their music and they are an old band, which will give me the certain style I wanted to go into the pictures.
 I done 2 versions I wanted a colour version and a black and white version. The first version I did was colour, for the front cover I wanted to keep it simple and I also want a picture with all of them. So I found a really picture with all 4 of them. I put the picture into Photoshop and added some little effects to make the picture look a bit old and for the colour to off faded a bit, so it looks like it’s been there a while. Once I had made the picture to how I wanted it I added some text, I added ABBA in gold writing, I had to take it from a different album, so I used the magic wand to cut all background colours, this left me with the writing. I then did the exact same with the name of the album “MAMA MIA” I used this album as mama mia is one of ABBA’s most popular songs. This writing was all in block capitals ABBA was written in gold and MAMA MIA! was written in a dark blue.
Once the front cover had been done I then proceeded to do the back cover, this had to contain the songs, name of the album and also the band’s name, I found a image which has all of this on and it went with the dark blue theme which is located on the front of the cover, I also took a liking to this picture as it had a barcode on it as well which makes it look more real, I didn’t change much to this picture all I did was darken the blue to make it match the front cover. For the inside cover I wanted to use a different photo but I couldn’t find anything unique, whilst I was looking for pictures I was listening to ABBA on YouTube and when I was watching the video I noticed a shot they used, they had all 4 artists in different corners singing, I really liked this so I had to print screen the image and pop it into paint, from there I could cut out the image and place it into Photoshop, I didn’t edit the picture as I didn’t feel the need to.
The last picture I needed to add was the CD itself, I really wanted something that would be bright and would just stand out when you opened the case, and luckily I managed to find just that a bright yellow CD, I didn’t need to do much all I needed to do was use the magic wand and cut out the background.
The next version I did I wanted a bit more up to date so I used some later pictures of ABBA together, for the front cover of the album I also wanted all 4 of them together, so I managed to find a picture with two of their heads high and the others low, I also added the band name ABBA in the background. For the back cover I placed a version of their Waterloo album on the back, once this was placed into Photoshop I dimmed the colour of the picture. For the picture in the inside cover I wanted a really up to date picture something that has been taken recently, I wanted this because it will contrast all the other photo’s, it will bring back memories and all their achievements. The last picture needed was the CD, this was hard to find a CD that I have not used so I had to find a picture of a ABBA button and create a hole in the middle. Once this was done I wanted these two CD covers to be different so I added a black and white effect to give both covers something different. I prefer the version with colour as its more vibrant and will stand out 10x more than the black and white version if published on a shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment